Gwen Harwood Poems
- In The Park She sits in the park. Her clothes are out of ...
- Anniversary So the light falls, and so it fell on branched ...
- Barn Owl Daybreak: the household slept. I rose, blessed by ...
- Last Meeting Shadows grazing eastward melt from their vast ...
- The Glass Jar A child one summer's evening soaked a glass ...
- Triste, Triste In the space between love and sleep when ...
- 'Thought Is Surrounded By A Ha... Show me the order of the ...
Gwen Harwood AO, née Gwendoline Nessie Foster, was an Australian poet and librettist. Gwen Harwood is regarded as one of Australia's finest poets, publishing over 420 works, including 386 poems and 13 librettos. She won numerous poetry awards and prizes. Her work is commonly studied in schools and university courses.
Gwen Harwood is the mother of the author John Harwood.
She was born in Taringa, Queensland and brought up in Brisbane. She attended Brisbane Girls Grammar School and was an organist at All Saints Church when she was young. She completed a music teacher's diploma, and also worked as a typist at the War Damage Commission from 1942. Early in ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
In The Park
She sits in the park. Her clothes are out of date.
Two children whine and bicker, tug her skirt.
A third draws aimless patterns in the dirt
Someone she loved once passed by – too late
to feign indifference to that casual nod.
“How nice” et cetera. “Time holds great surprises.”
From his neat head unquestionably rises
a small balloon…”but for the grace of God…”
They stand a while in flickering light, rehearsing
the children’s names and birthdays. “It’s so sweet
to hear their chatter, watch them grow and thrive, ”
she says to his departing smile. Then, ...