Learning The Lingo - Poem by Dónall Dempsey
I teach you a little Gaelic
& you pick up on the phrase
“...le do thoil? ”
(“...if you please? ”)
It becomes your euphemism
(for doing things unmentionable in public) .
I hear ...le do thoil? ”
more and more frequently.
People ask what does it mean
& why does she laugh.
I tell them it’s a private joke
but that you are becoming
Comments about Learning The Lingo by Dónall Dempsey
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
- Still I RiseMaya Angelou
- The Road Not TakenRobert Frost
- If You Forget MePablo Neruda
- DreamsLangston Hughes
- Annabel LeeEdgar Allan Poe
- IfRudyard Kipling
- Stopping By Woods On A Snowy EveningRobert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And WeepMary Elizabeth Frye
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love YouPablo Neruda
- TelevisionRoald Dahl