Rtfm 09 Say What? - Poem by Stewart McKenzie
Where do words come from?
I never made one up -
Well, maybe one or two,
But they didn’t catch on.
I never knew anyone who made one up.
I never heard of anyone who made one up -
Who were not much good at it,
And James Joyce,
Who was much too good at it.
No less a wordsmith than Shakespeare himself
Tried and failed,
Try these on your spellchecker -
Tortive? Propugnation? Assubjugate?
Humpty Dumpty did it better.
And yet my language is full of words,
And my world full of languages.
Comments about Rtfm 09 Say What? by Stewart McKenzie
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Read poems about / on: world
- Still I RiseMaya Angelou
- The Road Not TakenRobert Frost
- If You Forget MePablo Neruda
- DreamsLangston Hughes
- Annabel LeeEdgar Allan Poe
- IfRudyard Kipling
- Stopping By Woods On A Snowy EveningRobert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And WeepMary Elizabeth Frye
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love YouPablo Neruda
- TelevisionRoald Dahl