To Scrutinise Friendship (By St. Thiruvalluvar) - Poem by Rajendran Muthiah
71. There will be no division once they make friendly unison.
It may be harmful to make friendship without thinking.
72. Examine and inquire into before making friendship
Otherwise it will give in the long run a mortal pain.
73. Befriend a man after ascertaining his temper,
descent, defects and his ties with kindreds.
74. With a noble-born, who is shrinking from guilt
Strike up friendship even by giving some presents.
75. Explore and secure the friendship of those who make you
Weep for your crimes, rebuke and teach you ways of the world.
76. There is an asset though you are beset with problems
As friendship is the yardstick to measure out one’s friends.
77. It is a good gain
From a fool’s friendship to refrain.
78. Think not of deeds which depress your heart..
Shrink off the friends who at times of peril desert.
79. To think even at the moment of death hurts your mind
of a friendship that betrays when disaster strikes.
80. Cherish the friendship of the faultless. With the guilty,
Give up friendship by giving what they want.
Comments about To Scrutinise Friendship (By St. Thiruvalluvar) by Rajendran Muthiah
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Still I Rise
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening
I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love You