Willem VanVoorthuysen Poems
- Axioms For Life How do we prove that 1 + 1 makes 2? We ...
- My Guardian Angel While driving home late nights, in heavy...
- A Thousand Love Affairs It has been said, a man can love a ...
- Real Men Don'T Cry Since you went home, days turned to weeks ...
- God's Master Plan Lord of the universe, You let us probe the...
- Welcome Home, Veterans Will there be flowers to greet them? ...
- Forced Audience To my Angel Frieda: Immersing myself
WW-II veteran, Royal Netherlands Navy, POW in Japan Writes short stories, essays, poetry. Overall IQ: 122
Into classical music, portrait and nature photography. more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Axioms For Life
How do we prove that 1 + 1 makes 2?
We don't, we just accept it. But why?
Because our teachers told us so,
and on, and on, and on, and on,
for generations; that's why.
We've learned that axioms are laws
we shouldn't tamper with, because
the consequences might be serious:
a car might crash, a child might die,
a human soul be lost forever...
Axioms exist not only in arithmetic,
but also in religion, so when claiming
our right to freely think and speak,
we should be careful not to step
on other peoples' axioms of faith.
No matter ...