I just want you to know,
that I’m not mad at you
I know what it’s like,
when your world crumbles with life,
I know what a broken heart can do.
I’m thankful that you raised me,
and your guidance made me strong
It’s because of this,
through the seizures and fits,
I was able to hold on.
I hated seeing you broken;
I couldn’t stand to see you alone
That’s why I stood by your side,
as the vodka entwined,
And wrapped it s poison ‘round your soul.
I never wanted much from you;
I only want to see you smile,
So I just want you to know,
you’re still my hero,
Just like when I was a child.
You always stuck up for me,
and understood my troublesome ways
That’s why I wrote,
the first letter I post,
To you when I was locked up in chains.
I know that I got from you,
a spirit that breaks when faced with hard times,
Even though with you it broke,
with me I won’t “choke”
And somehow I’ll free myself from it’s binds.
Even though our struggles are much,
and most times haven’t been fun’
The sober years I had,
with you as my dad,
Make me grateful that I am your son.
I hope you know that I love you,
and I forgive you for not being there,
‘cause this life is pain,
it can send you insane,
And depression is anything but fair.
If someday you read this,
once the day comes I’ve been killed,
Promise me this,
you’ll let go of it,
And free yourself from the guilt.
‘cause I don’t care about your absence,
I don’t care that you were long gone,
‘cause the fact my role model,
fell in love with the bottle,
Has made me 10 times as strong.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Bottle by Alex Carr )
- horses of the sea, Stan Petrovich
- Dead Eye Notes, Shikdar Waliuzzaman
- Its 3: 00 A.M, Ajay Vyas
- No Love Lost For My Questioning Love, Sfisesihle Nxumalo
- PH: Poetry: God's Kind Of Poetry, Brian Johnston
- earthenware are you?, Mandolyn ...
- light bulbs flicker for a reason, Mandolyn ...
- Through A Puppet's Eyes, Dilantha Gunawardana
- soon., Mandolyn ...
- Dragon King Daughter, Tim caffery
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Udiah (witness to Yah)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)