Antero de Quental
Antero de Quental Poems
- IGNOTO DEO What mortal beauty resembles yours, O vision ...
- IGNOTO DEO Que beleza mortal se te assemelha, Ó sonhada ...
- DIVINE COMEDY Lifting their arms to the heavens on high And ...
- DIVINA COMÉDIA Erguendo os braços para o céu distante E ...
- DESPONDENCY Let it go - the bird so cruelly Despoiled of her...
- DESPONDENCY Deixá-la ir, a ave, a quem roubaram Ninho e ...
- WORDS OF A CERTAIN DEAD MAN I've been dead for over a ...
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Antero de Quental
WORDS OF A CERTAIN DEAD MAN
I've been dead for over a millennium,
Exposed, on this cliff, to wind and rain:
Not even a ghost has a thinner frame,
And no abortion is more misshapen. . .
Only my spirit lives, absorbed
By a single, inexorable thought:
"Dead and buried in life!" That
Is my torment. . . the rest I ignore.
I know I lived. . . but it was all of a day,
Just one - and the next day Idolatry
Built me an altar. . . Ah! they all bowed
As if I were someone! as if Life
Could be someone! - and then they decided
I was a God. . . and wrapped me in a shroud!