Forough Farrokhzad Poems
- The Sin [gonah] I sinned a sin full of pleasure, In an ...
- Gift I speak out of the deep of night out of the deep of ...
- The Wave To me you are a wave; never here, never there! You...
- The Bird May Die... I feel sad, I feel blue. I go outside ...
- Another Birth A dark and chanted verse is what I am Forever ...
- Call To Arms Only you, O Iranian woman, have remained In ...
- Conquest Of The Garden The crow that flew over us and ...
Forugh Farrokhzād was an Iranian poet and film director. Forugh Farrokhzad is arguably one of Iran's most influential female poets of the twentieth century. She was a controversial modernist poet and an iconoclast.
Forugh (also spelled Forough) was born in Tehran to career military officer Colonel Mohammad Bagher Farrokhzad and his wife Touran Vaziri-Tabar in 1935. The third of seven children (Amir, Massoud, Mehrdad, Fereydoun Farrokhzad, Pouran Farrokhzad, Gloria), she attended school until the ninth grade, then was taught painting and sewing at a girl's school for the manual arts. At age sixteen she was married to Parviz Shapour, an acclaimed satirist. ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
The Sin [gonah]
I sinned a sin full of pleasure,
In an embrace which was warm and fiery.
I sinned surrounded by arms
that were hot and avenging and iron.
In that dark and silent seclusion
I looked into his secret-full eyes.
my heart impatiently shook in my breast
In response to the request of his needful eyes.
In that dark and silent seclusion,
I sat dishevelled at his side.
his lips poured passion on my lips,
I escaped from the sorrow of my crazed heart.
I whispered in his ear the tale of love:
I want you, O life of mine,
I want you, O life-giving ...