Nizar Qabbani Poems
- In The Summer In the summer I stretch out on the shore And ...
- Light Is More Important Than T...
- Language When a man is in love how can he use old words? ...
- Every Time I Kiss You Every time I kiss you After a long ...
- My Lover Asks Me My lover asks me: "What is the difference ...
- Oh, My Love Oh, my love If you were at the level of my ...
- I Have No Power 'I have no power to change you or explain ...
Qabbani was revered by generations of Arabs for his sensual and romantic verse. His work was featured not only in his two dozen volumes of poetry and in regular contributions to the Arabic-language newspaper Al Hayat, but in lyrics sung by Lebanese and Syrian vocalists who helped popularize his work.
Through a lifetime of writing, Qabbani made women his main theme and inspiration. He earned a reputation for daring with the publication in 1954 of his first volume of verse, "Childhood of a Breast," whose erotic and romantic themes broke from the conservative traditions of Arab literature. The suicide of his sister, who was unwilling to marry a man she did not love, had a... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
In The Summer
In the summer
I stretch out on the shore
And think of you
Had I told the sea
What I felt for you,
It would have left its shores,
And followed me.
Translated by B. Frangieh And C. Brown
Submitted by Noele Aabye