Al Mahmud Poems
- In The Valley Of Dreams Once we went on a journey through a...
- By Your Hand I wish I ate the ancient koi of Kurulia fried ...
- In This Fascination Wandering over the whole world, I come ...
- Partition Of Heritage Why don't forget if you can? Forget ...
- Comes More Not Keeping the stone of Paharpur on the left ...
- The Shame Of Return To catch the last train I reached the ...
- Heart-Penetrating Sight Last night Death drove its hand into ...
Mir Abdus Shukur Al Mahmud commonly known as Al Mahmud is a Bangladeshi Poet, novelist, short-story writer. He is considered as one of the greatest Bengali poets emerged in 20th century. His work in Bengali poetry is dominated by his copious use of regional dialects. In 1950s he was among those Bengali poets who were outspoken by writing about the events of Bengali Language Movement, nationalism, political and economical repression and struggle against West Pakistan Government.
Early Life and Career
He was born in Morail Village, Brahmanbaria District, Bangladesh. Mahmud started his career as a journalist. He came into recognition after Lok Lokantor was published in ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
In The Valley Of Dreams
Once we went on a journey
through a dense opaque fog.
Suddenly our path became illuminated
by the flash of light in horizon.
The smell of paddy floated in wind.
Forests got sonorous with the songs of birds.
Our hearts started floating
being altogether a wonderful picture of Nature.
The clean flow of water, which our offspring showed us
raising their fingers with joy, is our soul.
It's the stream
which design our women weave their saris in.
It's the turn which inspires our sisters
to envelope their bodies with tortuous ...