Giorgos Seferis Poems
- The Jasmin
- Denial On the secret seashore white like a pigeon we ...
- The Leaf Of The Poplar It trembled so, the wind set it ...
- Interval Of Joy We were happy all that morning Ο God ...
- Santorini - The Naked Child Bend if you can to the dark sea ...
- In The Sea Caves In the sea caves there's a thirst there's a...
Giorgos or George Seferis was the pen name of Geōrgios Seferiádēs. He was one of the most important Greek poets of the 20th century, and a Nobel laureate. He was also a career diplomat in the Greek Foreign Service, culminating in his appointment as Ambassador to the UK, a post which he held from 1957 to 1962.
Seferis was born in Urla (Greek: Βουρλά) near Smyrna in Asia Minor, Ottoman Empire (now İzmir, Turkey). His father, Stelios Seferiadis, was a lawyer, and later a professor at the University of Athens, as well as a poet and translator in his own right. He was also a staunch Venizelist and a supporter of the demotic Greek language over the formal, official ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Whether it's dusk
or dawn's first light
the jasmin stays