Kamala Das Poems
- An Introduction I don't know politics but I know the ...
- My Grandmother's House There is a house now far away where ...
- The Looking Glass Getting a man to love you is easy Only be ...
- In Love O what does the burning mouth Of sun, burning in ...
- Words All round me are words, and words and words, They grow...
- Summer In Calcutta What is this drink but The April sun, ...
- The Old Playhouse You planned to tame a swallow, to hold ...
Kamala Surayya / Suraiyya formerly known as Kamala Das , (also known as Kamala Madhavikutty, pen name was Madhavikutty) was a major Indian English poet and littérateur and at the same time a leading Malayalam author from Kerala, India. Her popularity in Kerala is based chiefly on her short stories and autobiography, while her oeuvre in English, written under the name Kamala Das, is noted for the fiery poems and explicit autobiography.
Her open and honest treatment of female sexuality, free from any sense of guilt, infused her writing with power, but also marked her as an iconoclast in her generation. On 31 May 2009, aged 75, she died at a hospital in Pune, but has earned ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
I don't know politics but I know the names
Of those in power, and can repeat them like
Days of week, or names of months, beginning with Nehru.
I amIndian, very brown, born inMalabar,
I speak three languages, write in
Two, dream in one.
Don't write in English, they said, English is
Not your mother-tongue. Why not leave
Me alone, critics, friends, visiting cousins,
Every one of you? Why not let me speak in
Any language I like? The language I speak,
Becomes mine, its distortions, its queernesses
All mine, mine alone.
It is half English, halfIndian, funny ...