- The Soul, Like The Moon The soul, like the moon, is now, and...
- The Joys Of Palate And Fine Ap... The joys of palate and ...
- Day Will Be Erased In Night Day will be erased in night. The...
- If You'Ve Melted Your Desires If you've melted your ...
- Though You Are Wise, Be As A F... Though you are wise, be as ...
- To Learn The Scriptures Is Eas... To learn the scriptures is ...
- What Is Worship? Who Are This ... What is worship? Who are ...
Lalleshwari (लल्लेश्वरी) (1320–1392), also known as Lalla, Lal Ded or "Lal Arifa".She was a mystic of the Kashmiri Shaivite sect, and at the same time, a Sufi saint. She is a creator of the mystic poetry called vatsun or Vakhs, literally 'speech'. Known as Lal Vakhs, her verses are the earliest compositions in the Kashmiri language and are an important part in history of Kashmiri literature.
Lal Ded and her mystic musings continue to have a deep impact on the psyche of Kashmiri common man, and the 2000 National Seminar on her held at New Delhi led to the release of the book Remembering Lal Ded in Modern Times. A solo play in English, Hindi and Kashmiri titled 'Lal Ded' ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
The Soul, Like The Moon
The soul, like the moon,
is now, and always new again.
And I have seen the ocean
Since I scoured my mind
and my body, I too, Lalla,
am new, each moment new.
My teacher told me one thing,
live in the soul.
When that was so,
I began to go naked,
[Taken from Naked Song, by Lalla / Translated by Coleman Barks]