Work Is Worship, Or So They Said. . . - Poem by Meena Kandasamy
Six thirty in the a.m.
And you still have not
Gone to bed.
It is three days
Since you have
Combed your hair.
It is a week
Since you had a bath.
And six weeks
Since your dog had hers.
It is three months
Since you popped
The baby pink multi-vitamins.
It is half a year
Since you met your only best friend.
Woe to your scraggyscornfullistless world
Where the moonlit sky exists only in the grand
Lullabies that one of your grandmothers sang.
(First published in Sweet Magazine, South Africa)
Comments about Work Is Worship, Or So They Said. . . by Meena Kandasamy
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
- Still I RiseMaya Angelou
- The Road Not TakenRobert Frost
- If You Forget MePablo Neruda
- DreamsLangston Hughes
- Annabel LeeEdgar Allan Poe
- Stopping By Woods On A Snowy EveningRobert Frost
- IfRudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And WeepMary Elizabeth Frye
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love YouPablo Neruda
- TelevisionRoald Dahl