Barry Middleton Poems
- Letter To Myself I wish that I had written you when I was ...
- Two Deceptions both are like the falling leaves a tale that ...
- Owl Big psychotic eyes and vicious beak, you convey terror ...
- Things I Did Not Say there are so many things I did not ...
- The Lonely Time I cherish early morning, the lonely ...
- A Broken Promise if love is a promise in spring so love may ...
- Naked As Rain my sole meek wish was to be naked as the ...
I was born in 1946 in a small town at the edge of the Mississippi delta. The town and surrounding countryside would have been great subject matter for Norman Rockwell paintings. Much of that landscape and many of my experiences there are reflected in my poetry. As time progressed I realized I was blessed to have been born in interesting times and in an interesting place.
I was educated in the parochial school system in Mississippi and graduated High School in 1964. I attended Spring Hill College in Mobile Alabama and graduated from Southern Illinois University in Carbondale Illinois with a BS Degree in Psychology in 1969.
After graduation, I worked as a school teacher ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Letter To Myself
I wish that I had written you
when I was young and strong and wise
I knew that I would never die
I'd face the world without disguise
but as I pen this note to you
I have grown old and tired and weak
but I recall that hopeful youth
it is to you that I must speak
I can but say what I was told
to quietly sit and watch the crowd
and see the good and evil there
and think before I speak aloud
and though I wrote it long ago
I would not take my own advice
and that has put me on this path
with wishing that I had thought twice
I've come to ...