Li Po Poems
- Alone And Drinking Under The M... Amongst the flowers I am ...
- Alone Looking At The Mountain All the birds have flown up and...
- Drinking Alone I take my wine jug out among the flowers to ...
- Amidst The Flowers A Jug Of Wi... Amidst the flowers a jug of ...
- Autumn River Song The moon shimmers in green water. White ...
- A Mountain Revelry To wash and rinse our souls of their ...
- A Vindication If heaven loved not the wine, A Wine Star ...
Li Bai's birthplace is Chu, Kazakhstan. Another candidate is Suiye in Central Asia (near modern-day Tokmok, Kyrgyzstan). However his family had originally dwelt in what is now southeastern Gansu , and later moved to Jiangyou, near modern Chengdu in Sichuan province, when he was five years old. At the age of ten, his formal education started. Among various schools of classical Chinese philosophies, Taoism was the deepest influence, as demonstrated by his compositions. In 720, he was interviewed by Governor Su Ting, who considered him a genius. Though he expressed the wish to become an official, he could not be bothered to sit for the Chinese civil service examination. Perhaps he considered ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Alone And Drinking Under The Moon
Amongst the flowers I
am alone with my pot of wine
drinking by myself; then lifting
my cup I asked the moon
to drink with me, its reflection
and mine in the wine cup, just
the three of us; then I sigh
for the moon cannot drink,
and my shadow goes emptily along
with me never saying a word;
with no other friends here, I can
but use these two for company;
in the time of happiness, I
too must be happy with all
around me; I sit and sing
and it is as if the moon
accompanies me; then if I
dance, it is my shadow that
dances along with me; ...