0037 Ode To The Patience Of A Yawning Audience - Poem by Michael Shepherd
O come sweet sleep, and close my eyes with verse!
with drowsy metre, meet a deeper sleep;
to sleep, to dream, I never am averse -
to slumber numbed by poet's numbers deep;
so, here's a verse that's very brief - a sonnet:
just fourteen lines to challenge your attention:
please rest your weary ears, I pray, upon it;
head up; back straight; let go of any tension;
count the passing seconds to that time
-I'll indicate it with a final couplet -
when glorious English in immortal rhyme
blesses you with torpor's blissful duvet...
and after tribute paid to Orpheus' charms,
with stifled yawn, depart to Morpheus' arms...
Comments about 0037 Ode To The Patience Of A Yawning Audience by Michael Shepherd
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
- Still I RiseMaya Angelou
- The Road Not TakenRobert Frost
- If You Forget MePablo Neruda
- DreamsLangston Hughes
- Annabel LeeEdgar Allan Poe
- IfRudyard Kipling
- Stopping By Woods On A Snowy EveningRobert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And WeepMary Elizabeth Frye
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love YouPablo Neruda
- TelevisionRoald Dahl