Stewart Bartlam Poems
- Cricket At Adlestrop Yes, I remember the result. It was the ...
- Workday Blues A workday morning. Alarm clock wakes the man,...
- The Curious Case Of The Missin... It's just a cliche, a ...
- To A Spider In The Bath Tiny spider in the bath. So palpable...
- A Leonard Cohen Song I was just listening; listening to a ...
- The Wrong Side Invisible barriers are broken. Nemesis ...
- Barbeque Air suffuses with burgers, and onions. Oil oozes ...
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Stewart Bartlam
Cricket At Adlestrop
Yes, I remember the result.
It was the hottest day
of the year. I sweltered
in a hot bath - illogically.
The radio crackled. The soap
slipped through my hands
into foam-filled water
while I changed wavebands.
What I heard
was Bangladesh - only the name
of the winning team. Australia,
incredibly, had lost the game.
And for that minute a car horn blared
close by, then a louder
claxon, and another. All the cars
of all the Bangladeshis of Peterborough.
(This is an oblique homage to 'Adlestrop' by Edward Thomas) .