.5. At War - Poem by David Threadgold
Who put the rifle in his hand?
Then sent this man to war
Who told him no surrender?
Just kill a little more
What guidelines did they give him?
Before he opened fire
What made a man his enemy?
To die at his desire
Why should he have to make a choice?
Kind words or takes a shot
Why is this muddy trench his home?
Is this our soldier’s lot?
Where will he be at Christmas?
He dare not tell his wife
Where will he find the courage?
To take another life
When will his war be over?
Much longer than it seems
When he fires that final bullet
He’ll still have war like dreams
© 2008 David Threadgold
Rambling Riddles & Rhymes
Comments about .5. At War by David Threadgold
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
- Still I RiseMaya Angelou
- The Road Not TakenRobert Frost
- If You Forget MePablo Neruda
- DreamsLangston Hughes
- Annabel LeeEdgar Allan Poe
- Stopping By Woods On A Snowy EveningRobert Frost
- IfRudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And WeepMary Elizabeth Frye
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love YouPablo Neruda
- TelevisionRoald Dahl