Lawrence Beck Poems
- Randolph, Iowa That urgent, almost frenzied, movement One ...
- Zion I like it here. It can't be home, but I'm At ease at ...
- Gary Cooper Wouldn't it have been romantic if I'd thought of ...
- The Difference Between The Rep...
- Sometimes, The Magic Isn't Str...
- Kalaloch The day ends as it started, in the flat And ...
- No Strong Feelings Either Way Five days hence, I'll go into a...
My advice to anyone reading one of my poems: read it so quickly as you can the first time through. Since I write in a rush, my melody will become most evident if you read in a rush.
I have a web site, www.lawrencebeck.net, which contains more of my recent poems than the 50 I leave up here. I refresh this site every other month.
Alas, I must add this: if you write to me ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
No Strong Feelings Either Way
Five days hence, I'll go into a hospital
To have a doctor wire a device to me
Which is designed to thwart the better
Judgment of my heart. The old thing
Tells me I should die. The nag that I
Soon will receive will goad my heart
Back into beating when it stops,
And says it's done. What's the opinion
Of the mind, stay or go, let fate play
Out, or do as we're all doomed to do
These days, hang on at any cost?
It can't decide. It's satisfied with what
It's done, and willing to say, "Fine, it's
Over, " but it's not averse to being