Lawrence Beck Poems
- Like My Shadow The pain is here, my boon companion, Rising ...
- Impressed One sees Cezanne, Monet within these trees which ...
- Jail Bait The sun is setting on a day, a life.Her parents ...
- Gentrification We wander among battered buildings south of ...
- Far From Tintern Abbey Maybe, somewhere south of Easton, ...
- Domestic Bliss The wife has stormed back home.She's out of ...
- Mediation I am in the house, imagining the way the world ...
My advice to anyone reading one of my poems: read it so quickly as you can the first time through. Since I write in a rush, my melody will become most evident if you read in a rush.
I have a web site, www.lawrencebeck.net, which contains more of my recent poems than the 50 I leave up here. I refresh this site every other month.
Alas, I must add this: if you write to me ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Like My Shadow
The pain is here, my boon companion,
Rising out of bed with me each morning,
Taking walks with me.It warns me not
To use my car, or climb or even descend
Stairs.It tells me that I shouldn't sleep,
Yet also says I shouldn't be too active.
How I've tired of it, but it seems satisfied
With me, and can't be hushed or shooed
Away.At best, the little pills I take
Reduce it.Still, though smaller sized,
It's pain, and stays with me.