Gert Strydom Poems
- Invictus (A Reply To William E...
- Space Haiku’s Satellite observe mist cloud ...
- Angel Of The Morning Light Angel of the morning light, the ...
- But Then I Met You Once I loved a girl, who left me for ...
- A Distressful Day Finds Me a Distressful day finds me and at...
- At Times Love Has Visited Me At times love has visited ...
- Life I A sailor on a yacht upon the wide ocean
Gert Strydom was born in 1964 in Johannesburg, South Africa. He matriculated at Estcourt High School after which he obtained a Bachelor of Business Administration degree (B.B.A.) at Andrews University (Berrien Springs, Michigan, U.S.A.) and apart from being a poet and writer he is an accountant by profession. His predilection for poetry was stimulated by his late father who read Afrikaans poetry aloud at times, as part of his postgraduate studies at the University of South Africa. While living in Pretoria he attended the poetry writing school at the House of Afrikaans Poetry under mentorship of Prof. Ian Raper, where the other poets especially Ian Raper, Rosa Smit, Mandi Engelbrecht, ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Invictus (A Reply To William Ernest Henley)
While the night stretch black over me
and in the dark sky I see countless lights
I thank the God that made me free
to choose which light to follow as a guide.
In dark circumstance and whatever fate brings,
destiny and chance do not conquer
and I still rise wiser
to life and its things
and my will remains free
to decide where my words
and actions belong
whether they are right or wrong
and to no human I bend a knee
and in all things I only answer to Him
who Captain’s me.
[References: Invictus by William Ernest ...