poet Brian Patten

Brian Patten

#112 on top 500 poets

Mr Ifonly

Mr Ifonly sat down and he sighed,
I could have done more if only I had tried
If only I had followed my true intent
If only I had done the things that I meant
If only I had done the things that I could
And not simply done the things that I should
If only a day had lasted a year
And I had not lived in constant fear
Mr Ifonly sat down and he cried:
I could really have lived if only I had tried!
Now life has past me by and its such a crime,
Said Mr Ifonly who had run out of time

Poem Submitted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013
Poem Edited: Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Add this poem to MyPoemList

Rating Card

4,8 out of 5
7 total ratings
rate this poem

Comments about Mr Ifonly by Brian Patten

  • Darren JkoeryoDarren Jkoeryo (8/27/2020 11:54:00 PM)

    Yes if only had he used his judgmental skills properly and utilized his talent accordingly he would be happier not repenting like this.

    Report Reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.
  • Deepak Kumar Pattanayak (8/27/2020 11:51:00 PM)

    Oh yes if only such things would have happened or wouldn't have happened then......so beautifully narrated 10++

    Report Reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.
  • Mahtab BangaleeMahtab Bangalee (8/27/2020 11:05:00 PM)

    Mr Ifonly sat down and he sighed,
    I could have done more if only I had tried..........
    Yes it is true
    People can do a lot if they want to
    The only man in this world is the wisest and most powerful
    People are changing, refining and enlarging the world
    If people want, they can live together for the sake of universal humanity

    Report Reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.
  • Erin CowartErin Cowart (8/27/2020 3:20:00 PM)

    Well now I feel judged!

    Report Reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.
  • Khairul AhsanKhairul Ahsan (8/27/2020 12:47:00 PM)

    'If only.....' - so many things could happen if only....!
    Loved this humorous poem.
    Congratulations on its selection as the 'Modern Poem of the Day'!

    Report Reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.
  • Susan WilliamsSusan Williams (8/27/2020 2:52:00 AM)

    I have a feeling that 99% of the population had similar thoughts when they were at death's door and they were certainly annihilating ones to have. The other 1% refused to think them whether or not they were true. If only I had read this poem as I was growing up... maybe schools should insist on students memorizing it.

    Report Reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.
  • Edward Kofi LouisEdward Kofi Louis (8/27/2019 9:57:00 AM)

    If only i had tried! ! !

    Thanks for sharing this poem with us.

    Report Reply
    2 person liked.
    0 person did not like.
  • Ratnakar Mandlik (8/27/2019 9:18:00 AM)

    the story of Mr. Ifony, a victim of one having excuses for failures marvelously portrayed. Well worth modern poem of the day.

    Report Reply
    2 person liked.
    0 person did not like.
  • Kumarmani MahakulKumarmani Mahakul (8/27/2019 6:16:00 AM)

    Now life has past me by and its such a crime,
    Said Mr Ifonly who had run out of time....so touching and impressive. This poem is nicely executed by Brian Patten.

    Report Reply
    2 person liked.
    0 person did not like.
  • Bernard F. AsuncionBernard F. Asuncion (8/27/2019 3:23:00 AM)

    A well written poem by Brian Patten.....

    Report Reply
    2 person liked.
    0 person did not like.
  • Aniruddha PathakAniruddha Pathak (8/27/2019 2:09:00 AM)

    We come across many such Ifonly in life
    who run out of time, so true and well said..


    .

    Report Reply
    2 person liked.
    0 person did not like.
  • Andy* (8/27/2019 1:20:00 AM)

    If only is the saddest thing sometimes thought regrets a worthless and start with the premise I did Poor Mr Ifonly the saddest guy who died with out ever saying or doing what he should have done Great poem.

    Report Reply
    2 person liked.
    0 person did not like.
  • Mystery writer (5/21/2018 2:12:00 PM)

    It somes up how you dont just do things that you should, and the things that your told to do but that you can take risks and live life to the fullest every day

    Report Reply
    3 person liked.
    0 person did not like.



Read this poem in other languages

This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.

I would like to translate this poem »

word flags

What do you think this poem is about?