Max Reif Poems
- .34) Tone Poem: The Finale, '...
- (03new!) Beyond The Hills I gazed across the valley at the ...
- (....................16sept) ...
- A Gorilla In My Back Yard There's a gorilla in my back ...
- (......01july20) In A Minor ...
- (..................14sept1) ... I weep at the purity ...
- .35) Time: A Meditation The bird of Time sat on a branch. I...
For lots more poems, and plenty else, see my website,
www.REALnothings.com AND my online Store (Art Products!)
BECOMING A POET
In college I never understood poetry. Certain distant acquaintances walked around in what appeared to be a kind of haze. People spoke of them, always with a kind of awe, as poets.
I didn't grasp the poetry, but I wanted the awe. I wanted to be one of the people spoken of that way!
Whether most poets begin with such vague, crass aspirations, I don't know. Most things that are worthwhile in my life, though, have begun with some form of longing, some perception of their absence. ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
.34) Tone Poem: The Finale, 'Leonard Cohen — I'M Your Man'
He stands at the mic,
craggy faded eagle
in a grey suit, singing the verse
in a voice of smoke
surrounded by stark figures
black like spectres
from his own youth.
As he finishes,
the band picks up the chorus
and he stands there
smiling with his eyes
closed, just listening
and you feel his whole
life in that smile
and your life, too,
as though the silent
voice of the most beautiful
losers has given
birth to the whole world.