Juan Olivarez Poems
- Happiness Happiness is being home again, Happiness is ...
- What Are We? After all is said and done, What are we? Are...
- Your Voice I hear your voice, Anytime, Of the day or ...
- A Dream That Died A dream just died, Wasted away. A long ...
- Gossamer Wings I had a dream, that I could fly, On gossamer...
- Return To Padre It was a million years ago, We walked on ...
- I Saw God Today.... For My Pa... I saw God today, on a ...
I was born in Nyssa Oregon while my parents who were farm workers were picking cherries and working in the potato fields in Idaho.I grew up in Mission Texas and attended Mission High scool where I first attempted to write poetry. While in high school I had two poems published in Focus magazine, 'What is War in 1972' and The Clouds' IN 1973. I have been in public service in my home town of Alton Texas as city alderman, police commissioner and mayor pro tem, I love to play chess, play the guitar, cook and my other true love, fishing. My first love has and always will be my wife Elvira McAllen who against her better judgement decided to say yes when I asked her to marry me in 1973. We have six ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Quotationsmore quotations »
''The Devil knows more because he is oldOld Spanish saying.
Than because he is the Devil.''
''When a man, or a woman, can make you cry with the simplest of words, that being, is a poet.''Rod Mckuen
''It doesn't matter that the water is shallowJuan olivarez
you can't swim.''
''If the fire is blazingJuan olivarez
don't add gasoline.''
Happiness is being home again,
Happiness is walking in the rain.
Happiness is waking with no pain.
Happiness to see my humble home,
Happiness at not being alone,
Happiness to sit, and not to roam.
Happiness is family to me,
Happiness in the faces, I longed to see,
Happiness is once more being free.
6/12/10 29 palms ca.